Summer Heats Up in RiverSouth
Our Top Five Events to Round Out July
The 4th of July is in the rearview mirror, but there’s still plenty of action this month in RiverSouth. Here is a five-pack of events to round out July that you won’t want to miss.
- If you haven’t been to Extreme Race Day at Canterbury Park, you’re missing out. It’s the wackiest day of racing all year with camel and zebra races sprinkled among a unique slate of horse races—including one where horses on the dirt and turf compete in the same race. Canterbury Park’s most popular race day returns July 18. It’s a real zoo!
- The second annual Great Midwest Rib Fest returns to Mystic Lake July 24 – 26 with the top rib cookers in the country competing for thousands in prizes—and your vote for the Best of the Fest people’s choice award. Load your plate high with slow-smoked ribs and scrumptious sides—and try to save room for dessert! Come for the feast and stay for the free outdoor concerts with Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on Friday night, Little Texas and Joe Diffie on Saturday and A Flock of Seagulls on Sunday. Need a little exercise after all that feasting? Walk it off while you shop The Great Midwest Art Fest featuring unique items showcased by artists from around the Midwest.
- What does summertime mean in Minnesota? Outdoor music festivals—preferably on a lake— and RiverSouth is home to one of the best around. The Lakefront Music Fest features two days of music on the shores of beautiful Prior Lake July 17 and 18. This year’s lineup includes seven bands over two days, highlighted by Friday night headliner Dwight Yoakam and Saturday night superstar Daughtry. Check out the full lineup here.
- A trip to Valleyfair is always a great time, but this month offers a few unique events that may warrant an extra trip. While Soak City Waterpark is best known for daytime entertainment, check out this month’s Cinema in the Sand—outdoor movies you can watch with your toes in the sand! And when Jurassic World is topping the charts, how can we not mention Dinos After Dark select Saturday nights in July! Walk through a Jurassic forest setting at night under the stars alongside more than 30 life-sized, animatronic dinosaurs.
- On July 24, Canterbury Park will come alive—or at least undead. Zombie Night is a new feature at Canterbury Park this year, and we’re intrigued. Fans are encouraged to get “Zombified”, with a special “Best of the Dead” wardrobe and makeup contest. The night will also feature drink specials, a zombie band, and a zombie jockey chase on the track. Plus, the Zombie Pub Crawl, Minneapolis’s gathering of more than 30,000 zombie fanatics, will be giving away a pair of VIZ tickets to their October event.
RiverSouth is the place to be this July. Whether you’re planning a family vacation or a one-day staycation, there’s fun for everyone in RiverSouth. Visit the event calendar for a full list of activities here in the Land of Big Fun.